Please use this page as a resource regarding changes, closures and updates on inspection and building permit offices that may impact day-to-day residential construction operations, as well as job-site safety documents, and other COVID-19 information that is useful for our members.
DOLI Emergency Regulation
The Department of Labor and Industry’s (DOLI) Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) Program and the Virginia Safety and Health Codes Board have adopted emergency temporary standard for: Infectious Disease Prevention: SARS-CoV-2 that causes COVID-19, §16VAC25-220.
- Employers’ Obligations to Employees Effective the Week of July 27, 2020
- Virginia SBDC Overview for Compliance
- Outreach, Education And Training For The COVID-19 Emergency Temporary Standard, 16VAC25-22
- Text of Regulation
- Training Certification Form (Note: this link will direct you to the DOLI Resource Center where this form can be found)
- Nine Steps to Achieve COVID-19 ETS Compliance
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Training Presentation
- Hazard Assessment (Note: this link will direct you to the DOLI Resource Center where this information can be found)
- Infectious Disease Plan Template (Note: this link will direct you to the DOLI Resource Center where this information can be found)
- Lower Risk Training
- Toolbox Talks
Job Site Safety and Preparedness Resources
It is absolutely essential that our member businesses follow the guidelines provided to ensure a safe and healthy work environment. Please use the below resources.
OSHA: COVID-19 Guidance for the Construction Workforce (updated 4/22/20)
Construction Industry Safety Coalition Recommendations: COVID-19 Exposure Prevention, Preparedness, and Response Plan for Construction (Full Document - Update 8.18.2020) (Spanish Version)
- COVID-19 Jobsite Checklist and Toolbox Talk (updated 4/26/20)
- COVID-19 Jobsite Checklist and Toolbox Talk (Spanish)
- Template Letter: Essential Industry Employee Notification
- Template Letter: Employee Notification of Potential Exposure (updated 4/26/20)
- Template Letter: Essential Industry Employee Notification (Spanish)
- Template Letter: Employee Notification of Potential Exposure (Spanish)
- Jobsite safety poster (updated 4/26/20)
- Jobsite safety poster (Large - 11x17) (updated 4/26/20)
- Jobsite safety poster (Spanish) (updated 4/26/20)
- Jobsite safety poster (Large - 11x17 - Spanish) (updated 4/26/20)
State of Virginia Update
STATEWIDE UPDATE 6.25.20: Easing of Business Restrictions: Phase 3 - Read full Phase 3 business practices here.
STATEWIDE UPDATE 6.3.20: Virginia Executive Order 65 - Easing of Business Restrictions: Phase 2 - Read full Executive Order here.
STATEWIDE UPDATE 5.26.20: Virginia Executive Order 63 - Requirement of Face Coverings while inside buildings - Read full Executive Order here.
STATEWIDE UPDATE 5.11.20: Virginia Executive Order 61 - Easing of Business Restrictions - Read full Executive Order here.
STATE WIDE UPDATE 3.30.20: Virginia Executive Order 55 – Stay at Home Order CLICK HERE
All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53.
STATE WIDE UPDATE 3.23.20: The Governor has closed all public schools through the rest of the academic year and has shut down all nonessential businesses starting at midnight tomorrow night. Executive Order 53 does not affect the construction industry, and construction products at retail stores will be considered essential. We cannot emphasize enough how important it is for our member companies to continually identify and implement measures to protect their workforce, job sites, and offices. This is NOT business as usual – for the foreseeable future, we must all be proactive in protecting the health, safety, and welfare of all Virginians by implementing social distancing measures and other recommendations of Governor Northam and state health officials.
Locality Operational Updates
Virginia Building Code Official Association Live Update on Building Office Operation Status
Town of Blacksburg
6.15.2020 - Town Offices will reopen to the public on June 15. While we are pleased to have guests in our facilities at any time, we would ask that you continue to use alternative ways of conducting business with the Town, unless you absolutely have to visit in person. Maintaining social distancing and inhibiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus remains our primary concern.
If you wish to inquire about building permits, plan reviews, submitting development plans, land use or zoning matters, or building inspections but prefer to not come to the building please call us at one of the following numbers and we will be happy to assist you.
- Building - (540) 443 – 1325
- Planning - (540) 443 – 1300
- Engineering - (540) 443 – 1300
You may also visit our website for additional information on planning, zoning, building permit, and development review information.
For water, wastewater, erosion and sediment control, mapping, geographic and information systems, right-of-way permits, and development application information please visit us online as well.
Payments to Planning and Building or Engineering and GIS may be made by phone or in person.
For the latest COVID-19, updates visit the Town of Blacksburg update page, the New River Valley Public Health Task Force page, or sign up for Citizens Alert.
April 2020 - Currently issuing permits via phone, email and fax. Proposing to limit inspections and in-person meetings, using dropbox for plan review. Field inspections are limited to exterior projects and unoccupied structures
All Town of Blacksburg facilities are closed to the public until further notice. For department specific information, please visit this link.
Town of Christiansburg
6.15.2020 - The Town of Christiansburg is reopening facilities to the public on Monday, June 15, after several months of government facilities being closed due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) precautions. Christiansburg Town Hall will reopen with social distancing in place and face coverings required for entry, per Commonwealth of Virginia Executive Order 63. While the public is welcome in Town Hall starting on June 15, citizens are strongly encouraged to continue using online services when possible. Please see the information below on how to conduct business virtually with Town departments.
- If possible, payment for permits shall be made by check in the drop box outside Town Hall, credit card on file or credit card by phone. The $10 service charge for phone payments by credit card has been temporarily waived.
- Field inspections will still be conducted daily as per usual.
Building Phone: 540-382-6120
- Building permits are available for download on the Building Department webpage.
Engineering Phone: 540-382-6120
- Erosion & Sediment Control, Stormwater and other infrastructure inspections will continue as usual. Inspectors will continue to perform site inspections on the private development projects under construction.
- Standard forms and applications are available for download on the Engineering Department webpage.
Planning Phone: 540-382-6120
- Planning & Zoning applications and permit forms (including sign permits) are available for download on our Planning Department webpage.
April 2020 - Currently issuing permits All permits by phone or email. Virtual meeings, conferance calls. Inspections currently as normal. They will allow third party inspections should the office be shut down to staff.
Town of Christiansburg is closing Town Hall to the public, effective at 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 19. For department specific information, please visit this link.
4.3.2020 - As of late Friday afternoon, two Montgomery County employees have tested positive for COVID-19. As a result, and out of an abundance of caution, the Montgomery County Government Center is closed to both citizens and employees for two weeks, effective at 5 p.m., on April 3.
While the Montgomery County Government Center is shutdown, the following local government functions will continue:
- Emergency services and public safety;
- Operations at the Montgomery County Court House (some restrictions apply);
- Solid waste convenience sites and disposal;
- Water and sewer services; and
- Animal Control response for bite cases, incidents involving seriously injured animals, or official requests for services made by public safety officials in response to emergency incidents.
If you have questions about specific local government operations during this time, visit www.montva.com/status
Montgomery County's Building Department is continuing to work remotely during this time.
Town of Dublin
3.20.20 - Dublin Town Offices are closed temporarily due to the COVID-19 crisis. The Town is making arrangements to help customers through e-mail, regular mail and telephone. Customers can call the office at 540-674-4731. Building, Zoning, Inspections and new Permits are still available online, calling and/or drop box. Staffing is still in place but we are trying to limit exposure through social distancing. Due to the ever changing situation please check our web page for updates.
Town of Pulaski
Buidling Department is still issuing permits and accepting applications via email, mail, or at the door. They are conducting limited, exterior inspections only.
3.20.20 - In response to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, the Town of Pulaski will be closing all municipal buildings/facilities to the public, effective Monday, March 23rd, 2020. For citizens requiring assistance for Building Permits, Zoning Permits, Engineering requests, and other such needs, please contact the Town’s Community Development Department at 540-994-8606 for direction on how to proceed.
City of Radford
3.23.20 - Building Official’s Office makes building permit forms available online. Click Here.
3.20.20 - City of Radford Administrative Office Closed to the Public: In response to COVID-19 (coronavirus), the City of Radford Administrative office will be closed to the public, effective at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20. The closures will be revisited and any revisions announced during the week of Mar. 30.
The Administrative Office houses the following departments: City Manager, Building Official, Property Maintenance, Director of Operations, Economic Development, Engineering, Finance, GIS, Human Resources, Planning/Zoning/Transit, Public Information.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we do our best to continue necessary local government functions while keeping our employees safe during this time.
For updates related to coronavirus and the impact on our community, visit https://www.radfordva.gov/1157/COVID-19-Updates
Circuit Court Clerk’s Office Modified Operations: Office will be open to the public 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Full operations letter can be found here.
5.18.20 - Pulaski County Administration discontinued teleworking and County employees returned to a report-to-work schedule. The County is preparing to safely reopen county facilities to the public on Tuesday, May 26, 2020, with adherence to health safety guidelines.
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020, the County also plans to reopen all segments of county outdoor recreation facilities and will reopen all county operated indoor recreation facilities with adherence to health safety guidelines as well as adherence to the Commonwealth’s applicable phased approach reopening guidelines (Phase I, II, or III). For specific questions regarding reopening, please call County Administration at 540-980-7705.
3.24.20 - The Circuit Court Clerk's office is closed to the public effective Tuesday, March 24th, 2020. If you have Secure Remote Access or OCRA access, please use these tools. For those who have not applied for either tool, please let me know and I will email you the application. Fees will be waived through April 30th, 2020 and perhaps further if necessary. For those who have subscribed and paid for access for the year or otherwise, your access to these tools will be extended for the time frame mentioned above.
For attorneys who file civil cases, you may do so by e-filing those cases. We will still record deeds in the office. E-recording for land records is available through SImplifile and you may access this feature at Simplifile.com
Effective Tuesday, March 24th, 2020, the Circuit Court Clerk's Office is closed to the public and will only be performing essential services.
Office personnel are in the office to assist you by phone, email and to help you access online features. You may call the office at 540-980-7825 for assistance
Declared a Local State of Emergency for Pulaski County, VA effective – 03/21/20
Discontinuing the public’s access into all County facilities (delivery of core and essential county services will continue until further advised) – effective 03/24/20 (The County will utilize email, regular mail, telephones, facsimile, teleconferencing and other appropriate communication platforms in the delivery of services to prevent face-to face interactions between the public and its employees).
4.6.2020 - The Wythe County Administration Office will be closed to the public April 6 through April 17, 2020. County staff will be at the office and available by telephone or email. The main number is 276-223-4500.
3.27.2020 - The Wythe County Administration Office will be closed to the public for the week of March 30 through April 3, 2020. County staff will be at the office and available by telephone or email. The main number is 276-223-4500.
3.21.20 - In order to assist in mitigating the spread of the Coronavirus COVID-19, the Wythe County Administration Office will be closed to the public for the week of March 23 through March 27, 2020. County staff will be at the office and available by telephone or email. The main number is 276-223-4500.
Utility payments can be made with a credit card via phone (276-223-4501), by U.S. Mail, or by using the drop box located to the right of the entrance.
Building Permit forms can be obtained online at http://www.wytheco.org/index.php/resources/forms and may be completed and returned via email, U.S. Mail, or via the drop box. Upon receipt of the permit, staff will contact you for payment information.
Carroll County Government Offices are CLOSED until further notice due to the Declaration of Emergency. Essential Staff are working onsite and available by appointment or by telephone.
Building Department is still issuing permits and conducting inspections and allowing picture submissions.
Building Department is still issuing permits and conduction inspections.
City of Galax
Building Department is still issuing permits and conduction inspections.
As soon as we receive any other updates, they will be added to this page.
COVID-19 SBA Disaster Loan Information
For a detailed explanation of SBA’s Disaster Loans, please see SBA’s Three-Step Process Factsheet. That can be accessed here:
Items Required for Applications
- Loan application (SBA Form 5), completed and signed (this is electronic/online in the portal). To see what the form looks like, an example can be found here.
- Tax Information Authorization (IRS Form 4506-T), completed and signed by each applicant, each principal owning 20 percent or more of the applicant business, each general partner or managing member, and, for any owner who has more than 50 percent ownership in an affiliate business. Affiliates include, but are not limited to, business parents, subsidiaries, and/or other businesses with common ownership or management.
- Complete copies, including all schedules, of the most recently filed Federal income tax returns for the applicant business; an explanation if not available
- Personal Financial Statement (SBA Form 413) completed, signed, and dated by the applicant, each principal owning 20 percent or more of the applicant business, and each general partner or managing member
- Schedule of Liabilities listing all fixed debts (SBA Form 2202 may be used)
HBAV Comprehensive COVID-19 Resource Document - Updated 4.27.2020
Families First Coronavirus Response Act Workplace Posters
OneDigital (HBAV Insurance Agency) COVID-19 Advisory Hub (HR Resources): NRVHBA Members do not have to be customers of OneDigital to access the resources, but do need to be customers to receive one-on-one consultations.
From Sands Anderson - COVID-19 Guide for Business and Local Government